Officially, you need to register as self-employed if any of the following apply:

A | You earned more than £1,000 from self-employment within one tax year

B | You need to prove you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare

| You want to make voluntary Class 2 National Insurance payments to help you qualify for benefits

However, at YoungOnes you need to provide us with a UTR number after five gigs. Therefore we recommend registering as self-employed as soon as possible to get your UTR number. You can read here how to register as self-employed and get your UTR number. You can also check out our whitepaper with all the information you need. It will tell you what it is, when you need it and how to get it.